Students are expected to develop technical and scientific skills of some extensive depth in this area, namely:
- Skills in computational mechanics, with application in both solids and fluids mechanics;
- Skills in software development, regarding the formulation, the analysis, and the development of computational numerical tools to simulate mechanic phenomena in complex engineering problems;
- Skills in understanding the complex approaches that currently characterize Computational Mechanics, allowing its application in different areas of science and engineering;
- Skills to correctly use existing codes and commercial software on Computational Mechanics, including simulation packages for specific applications required by Industry.
Students are also expected to develop a profile for labor market integration guided by a spirit of initiative, independence, creativity, and responsibility.
Thus, during the Masters students will attend classes in which these components are addressed and highlighted; they will be involved in computational projects that propitiate the development of the skills listed above.
The preparation of the final Master Thesis will also integrate, converge and consolidate the knowledge gained throughout the course in developing a project in which the studied models studied can be applied.
- Students who completed the 1st or 2nd cycle studies in Engineering (Mechanical, Biomechanics or Civil), Physics or Mathematics, and are seeking an advanced specialization in Computational Mechanics.
- Students who (although having already completed the 2nd cycle of studies in Mechanical or Biomechanics or Civil Engineering, Physics or Mathematics) with an advanced specialization in Computational Mechanics.
- Graduates in Mechanical or Biomechanics or Civil Engineering, Physics or Mathematics, wishing an advanced specialization in Computational Mechanics.
The Faculty of Engineering of the University of Porto is oriented to train competitive and forefront engineering professionals, with high scientific knowledge. These professionals are capable to act as positive changing agents in the industrial and economic tissue, both locally and internationally.
The Master in Computational Mechanics accords with these purposes since it establishes a unifying and specialized training offer in the computational mechanic’s area. This master course answers to a growing need of the industry, which today requires high-level professionals in this area.
STUDY PLAN 2024/2025