One of the issues students face when they decide to study abroad is health care.

The European Health Care Insurance Card (CESD) allows students from another member country of the European Economic Area (EEA), or from Switzerland, to obtain medical assistance in the event of sickness or accident, thus providing them wide coverage in terms of health care. You should request a CESD card from the social security service in your country, as it is proof that you are registered with that social security service and allows you to benefit from the Portuguese public health care system.

Students from other countries outside the EEA should ask for further information in their own country before travelling to Portugal.

It is very important that during their stay in Portugal all students should have valid health insurance.